NAGAP Mentor Program
The NAGAP Mentor Program is a member benefit for early career and more experienced GEM professionals to enhance their professional knowledge, skills, and success in the field.
The purpose of the Mentor Program is to provide opportunities for NAGAP members to develop deeper relationships with colleagues, share best practices, and increase engagement with NAGAP and the GEM profession.
- To strengthen the skills of the mentee and support his/her professional and career development by identifying and addressing areas for growth or improvement
- To enhance the professional abilities of mentors through their efforts guiding, coaching, and sharing their experience with their mentee
- To foster collegial relationships between seasoned GEM professionals and those newer to the field, expanding the professional network of both groups
Timeline and process
A call for mentor and mentee applications was sent in July. Participant applications were due August 22. Candidates are then matched based on geography, role, discipline, and/or organizational context. An orientation meeting is held in early fall to discuss roles and expectations for all mentors and all mentees
Mentor Program Timeline
Monday, September 12, 2022 - Mentor/Mentee matching complete
Friday, September 16, 2022 - Matched pairs introduced to each other through initial emails, save the date for Orientation
Thursday, September 29, 2022 (tentative) - Virtual Orientation outlining program outline, participant expectations, conversation prompts
Mentor/Mentee meeting expectations:
1. October 2022
2. November/December 2022
3. February 2023
4. March/April 2023 (perhaps meet up at Summit in April 2023)
Closing virtual session - early to mid-June 2023
Key Roles and Expectations
NAGAP will provide members with an effective mentoring partnership that will support knowledge and skill development of each member. The mentor program will offer mentors and mentees a framework for conversations to help make each conversation productive and meaningful.
- MENTORS will provide time, commitment, skills, experience, knowledge, and wisdom to an early career GEM professional.
- MENTEES will provide time, commitment, skills, experience, knowledge, and wisdom to become a rising GEM professional.
- Mentors and mentees will meet (phone or virtually) at least four times per year (twice in the fall, twice in the spring).
- Mentors and mentees will commit to completing a full academic year with the program.
- NAGAP will offer a series of conversation prompts to initiate conversations throughout the year.
- When possible, mentors and mentees should plan to meet up in person at the GEM Summit.
- Mentors and mentees will complete an evaluation provided by NAGAP at the end of their mentorship.